Today I stumbled upon a documentation bug in MSDN (once again). When trying to access the list of all available
WebTemplates on a
SPWeb, this article describes that you can use SharePoint’s REST interface by sending an
HTTP POST request to
I was wondering why I should call a
GET method using a
HTTP POST operation. So I gave it a try. Using Chrome’s Postman plugin (which is fantastic for experimenting with REST interfaces), I tried to call the method as described within the MSDN reference.
SharePoint’s response was not surprising. When executing such a request you might receive an error like this.
To get this working, you have to change the request from issuing an
HTTP POST to issuing an
HTTP GETand SharePoint will return the expected data.
I’ve also submitted the documentation bug to Microsoft, perhaps the correct
HTTP Method will appear on MSDN soon :).
That’s all for now, let’s get back to work.